Social Media Marketing VS Traditional Marketing
For years, there has been a debate over which method brings better results for Hudson Valley businesses, so for that reason, we decided to point out some of the main differences between the two in order to help you make an informed decision where to invest your marketing dollars.
What is traditional marketing?
Traditional marketing often called offline marketing is a type of marketing that includes a combination of various marketing tactics, such as direct sales, TV, radio, printed advertisements (newspaper, coupons, billboards, etc.) and promo materials such as catalogs, flyers and brochures.
Although these strategies may be effective for certain types of businesses, traditional marketing has some important limitations compared to its digital counterpart.
Here are just a few:
- High Cost – Consistent TV, radio or even newspaper advertising is often too expensive for an average Hudson Valley businesses. When it comes to printed promotional material, even though it may not be as expensive, you still you have to hire people who will do distribute it in Hudson Valley and you will never be 100% certain they didn’t throw some of the material in the dumpster behind the corner.
- Inability to measure the results: Traditional marketing is like throwing things into the wall, hoping something will stick, which makes almost impossible to track its results & return on investment.
- One-way communication: Traditional marketing is almost always reduced to asking the buyer to take some kind of action, like making a purchase… which essentially makes traditional marketing a “real life spam”.
What about the marketing opportunities offered by social networks?
Social media marketing, or SMM as many people call it, is a type of digital marketing that utilizes social networks as a marketing platform. The main goal of marketing on social media is to produce the type of content users will share with others and help the company reach a higher brand exposure.
Let’s take a look at some of the benefits:
- The results are easily measurable. You can easily see which tactics bring customers to your business and which exact actions lead to conversions. This allows you to decide on the goal and the method that works best for your business. You can also change the direction of your strategy on a dime and make new decisions based on collected data and verified results.
- Target your audience with laser-precision. SMM allows us to target large groups and even subgroups of your audiences in order to deliver the right marketing messages to the right people.
- Build relationships with your audience. Another great (and often overlooked) aspect of SMM is that it helps businesses receive feedback directly from their followers in real time, which makes the audience feel more valued, and also allows the company to improve its customer care and gain more loyal customers.
- Campaign data and results are available in real time. The ability to get feedback on your campaigns in real time is one of the biggest advantages of social media marketing. This allows you to quickly adjust your sales tactics, which will not only bring better results but will also save you from wasting a lot of money.
- Accessibility to businesses of all sizes. Even if you own a small business in Hudson Valley and your audience is only people in your neighborhood, you can still advertise your business on social media breaking the bank.
What is needed for a successful SMM?
Good marketing on social networks requires commitment. However, many people new to this, usually think all it takes to grow your business online is to publish a few status updates every day & have a solid number of followers. If you fall into this group, we hate to break it to you, but what you’ll realize is that without detailed planning and dedication you won’t get very far with your marketing efforts.
Experienced digital marketing experts know that for the maximum potential of social media, they need to listen to audiences, share only relevant messages with them, and engage in conversation.
Although we at Hudson Valley Social Media live and breathe digital marketing, we still need to point out some of the biggest disadvantages of SMM:
- It can be very time-consuming. To stay relevant you need to create relevant and engaging content on a daily basis, and also respond to questions and comments.
- Consistency is a MUST. Successful social media marketing requires consistency across all your social media networks.
With all been said, we want to add that social media is here to stay. So if you don’t have the time or the know-how to build and manage your brand online, you will be washed away by companies who do.